As part of my course this semester, I asked my students to conduct a SWOT analysis of Chat GPT. Here is the assignment:
- Visit the website: https://openai.com/blog/chatgpt/Links to an external site.
- Explore the website and use AI interface (ask the AI to write an essay on the topic of your choice)
- Ask yourself the following questions (Source: Dr. Torrey Trust “Teacher and Student Guide to Analyzing AI Writing Tools”) and write your answers down to as many in a Google Document (we will discuss your responses to these questions in the following synchronous class):
- Why was this tool created?
- What are the objectives, aims, and values of the tool designer?
- What does the tool designer gain from your use of this tool?
- Who is the target audience for this tool? How do you know this?
- Who is harmed and who benefits from this tool?
- As you are using chatGPT think about the Strength, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats (SWOT) of this tool in teaching and learning
- Create a figure (using Canva) that helps illustrate your SWOT analysis
I was pretty excited to see the outcome of the exercise but also to hear the stories during our discussion. Here are some examples of the SWOT analysis created by the students, shared in this post with their permission.