TechTrends Special Issue
Research and Theory Division (RTD)
The Research and Theory Division of AECT is sponsoring a special issue of TechTrends related to current innovative research methodology in the instructional design and technology field. We welcome proposals in which researchers are rigorously using innovative methods of data collection and analysis as part of an investigation that helps further advance knowledge on the field.
Special Issue Co ‐ Editors
Enilda Romero-Hall, Ph.D.
University of Tampa
E-ling Hsiao, Ph.D.
Valdosta State University
Fei Gao, Ph.D.
Bowling Green State University
Submissions should align with the RTD mission to promote the development and advancement of theory; promotes, presents, and disseminates research and scholarship that encompasses multiple perspectives; advocates the study of social and cultural issues in the field; supports, fosters, and mentors emerging scholars. The division provides a professional community for AECT members with an interest in research and theory. The following is a non-exhaustive list of possible innovative methods of data collection and analysis:
- Educational data mining
- Learning analytics
- Social network analysis
- Advanced statistical modeling
- Network anthropology
- Eye tracking
- Other physiological measures
- Integrative approaches to ‘mixing’ qualitative research
- Person-centered analyses
- Interactional ethnography
- Art-based data analyses
- Appreciative inquiry
- Concept mapping research
- Visual analysis
- And other innovative research methodologies
Expected publication date: September 2018
Articles should follow the writing style guidelines for Tech Trends. Submissions should be 4000-‐5000 words in length (10 ‐15 pages) and abstracts should not exceed 150 words. Use APA formatting throughout.
Please upload a PDF file with your name, institution, and email address as well as a brief overview (approx. 500 words) of the proposed article using the following link: http://tiny.cc/TechTrendsRTDSpecialIssue for initial review. If accepted for review, you will be directed to a Tech Trends portal for this special issue where you will submit your full article per the schedule below.
We kindly ask authors to also serve as reviewers for the submissions. Reviewers will also be requested from the overall AECT RTD membership. Thank you.
- August 7, 2017 ‐ Call for Proposals posted
- September 15, 2017 ‐ Proposals due: http://tiny.cc/RTDSpecialIssue_Dropbox
- October 16, 2017 ‐ Notify accepted proposals
- January 29, 2018 – Full submissions due AND start peer review process
- March 16, 2018 – Reviews due
- April 27, 2018 – Notify authors of review decisions
- June 1, 2018 – Final and reviewed papers due